Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Why I dont want to read Ender's Game 3

Nobody probably cares, but I wanna tell anonymous people anyway.

Predictability.
First of all, I didn't really like the story for Speaker for the Dead. It was good, interesting (somewhat) but TOTALLY PREDICTABLE. What I thought was gonna happen half way through the book--happened. The end was pretty much what I thought it was gonna be... except they did some weird stuff before the end.

So I started Xenocide (Ender's Game 3) and I read the first chapter or so. It picks up right after where Speaker for the Dead left off. So I'm thinking... this is how the story is gonna go: Valentine will meet Miro, they'll go on some side-tracking quest then go meet on Lusitania. Then Ender will be doing random stuff with the Pequinos and other junk. Then eventually the hundred world congress will erupt into chaos or civil war over the discovery of the buggers being reborn or something. But, BUT, they won't nuke the planet. They'll make some wierd treaties and people will be prejudiced against buggers for eternity, but they'll try to live in peace. Then they'll tie up some loose ends and stuff.
That's how I THINK the story will go after reading the first chapters.

It will probably be different and have some surprises/interesting scenes, but I'm too tired to concentrate my attention on the same, boring, predictable like dialogue and writing.

Retelling the story
E.G.:
Miro has slurred speech, and he's somewhat paralyzed, so they have to spend three pages explaining what happened to him in the previous book.

They did this in speaker for the dead, and it annoyed me. They did it even more in the first few chapters of XENOCIDE and it irritated me. Point is: I already know what happened to these characters in the past. Don't tell me again, over and over. Yeah, there might be someone who's reading this book without having read the previous two, but come on... who really wants to start a series on book 5/6, then go back to 3/6, then 6/6, then 1/6, then finish 2 and 4 simoultaneously? And besides, I think it'll make the NEW reader WANT to go back and read the previous books even more, because they don't know WHY characters are certain ways.

Same Writing Style
Orson Scott Card. He is the author.

His writing style is predictable after 2 books, and some dialogue scenes are so familiar, I'm thinking im getting De-Ja-Vu. It seems like he's trying to make the dialogue witty, and interesting by making characters speak their minds FLAT OUT, but it gets old...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------


I liked Ender's Game alot. I liked the first 1/3 of Speaker. Since then it's been kind of a weird decline for me. So, I don't feel like reading the next book...

...

...but I'm probably gonna read it anyway...! :P

Why? ...Well.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5/31/2006 5:16 PM, Blogger ifedajay said...

Your meal costs more than my meal at school!

 
At 6/01/2006 6:37 PM, Blogger TheJBurger said...

Your comments are really inciteful and helpful to my blog. They really help me improve my writing style and ideas and are totally relevant to each post in their own way.

Thank you for your time.

 
At 6/01/2006 6:37 PM, Blogger TheJBurger said...

OK!! JUST KIDDING!?!?!? lOLOZLJIOJDOIAJSIODSaD

 
At 6/03/2006 10:50 AM, Blogger ifedajay said...

Did you write that last post JBurger????

Yeah! I'm gladdd...at least I help somebody...


"Yeah, there might be someone who's reading this book without having read the previous two, but come on... who really wants to start a series on book 5/6, then go back to 3/6, then 6/6, then 1/6, then finish 2 and 4 simoultaneously?"

Funny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home